Vegan Gingerbread Cut-out Biscuits
Festive spiced gingerbread cookies are perfect for both big and small holiday celebrations!
- 4 Weet-Bix™, very finely crushed
- 1 1/4 cups wholemeal flour, plus extra for rolling (163 g)
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 2 1/2 tsp mixed spice
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 125g margarine or dairy-free spread
- 1⁄3 cup caster sugar (70 g)
- 1⁄3 cup molasses (120 g)
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
To decorate, optional
- Thick icing, for piping
- dried fruit, chopped unsalted nuts, seeds, 100s & 1000s, silver balls
- Combine dry ingredients (Weet-Bix through salt) in a bowl and whisk well.
- In a separate large bowl, cream margarine and sugar with a sturdy spoon until smooth. Add molasses and vanilla, and stir well.
- Add dry ingredients to margarine mixture, and stir until all flour is incorporated. Form dough into a disk and wrap well. Refrigerate at least 3 hours, or overnight.
- To bake, preheat oven to 180°C (355°F). Line an oven tray with baking paper.
- Lightly dust another piece of baking paper with extra flour and use to roll out half the dough, to 1/2 cm thick. Cut out shapes and transfer to prepared baking sheet.
- Bake 8 – 10 min. Cool on tray for 2 mins, then transfer to a rack to cool completely before decorating.
- Repeat rolling and cutting with remaining dough. Gently press scraps into a disk, refrigerate until cool, and re-roll as required. Makes approximately 50 small biscuits.
- For a super smooth dough, pulse Weet-Bix in a processor before adding to flour.
- To make your own mixed spice, combine 1 tsp cinnamon, 1 tsp ground ginger, 1/4 tsp allspice, and 1/4 tsp ground cloves.
- When rolling dough, keep an extra baking tray in the freezer and slide baking paper with the cut-outs onto the cold tray – freeze for 2 minutes. Cold dough will make it easier to separate scraps and transfer the cut-outs to the tray for baking.
Saturated Fat (g)2
Dietary Fibre (g)1.2