Lemon delicious pudding
This magical pudding creates a fluffy sponge on top and a luscious sauce on the bottom as it bakes – serve it warm for a special treat!
- 1/4 cup margarine or non-dairy spread, melted and cooled (60 g)
- 1/2 cup caster sugar (110 g)
- zest from 1 lemon
- 3 eggs, separated into whites and yolks
- pinch salt
- 1/2 cup white self-raising flour (70 g)
- 1 1/2 cups So Good™ Lite Soy Milk (375 ml)
- 1/4 cup lemon juice (60 ml)
- Preheat oven to 170°C. Lightly spray a 1.5 litre baking dish with cooking oil.
- Beat the egg whites and salt, by hand or with an electric mixer, until firm peaks have formed. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the margarine, sugar and lemon zest. Add egg yolks and whisk again, for about 30 seconds, until the colour starts to lighten slightly.
- Slowly whisk half the So Good soy milk into the egg yolk mixture to loosen. Whisk in all the flour, followed by remaining milk and lemon juice. The batter will be very thin.
- Gently fold half the beaten egg whites into the lemon batter. Add remaining whites and stir well–being careful to fully incorporate any visible lumps, while keeping the mixture light and fluffy.
- Pour lemon mixture into prepared dish. Bake for 30 minutes, until golden and firm on top, with a slight wiggle under the surface. Cool in the pan for 5 minutes to allow pudding to finish setting. Serve warm.
- White flour can be replaced with wholemeal, however the pudding will have a slightly different texture.
- As the pudding cools, the sauce will absorb into the cake–it will still taste delicious but will not have distinct layers.
Saturated Fat (g)2
Dietary Fibre (g)1